Saturday, January 9, 2010

Adventure Islandticket 2010

homemade yogurt

This fall, I had a phase where I wanted to make homemade yogurt. I tried several ways, most of them with yogurt mixed with milk. It does not really work and I abandoned the idea. It is not easy to keep a temperature of 42 degrees for 5 hours.

However, returning from a visit to the family New Year's Day, I brought in my suitcase ... a yogurt maker. Yay! It belonged to my grandmother and the instruction booklet, it says the date of purchase: 1979. She is older than me!

The yogurt is really to keep the right temperature (42 degrees) during the 5 hours of incubation. One branch, and sometimes it turns to warm, other times she goes out. The basic recipe is simple: 8 cups of milk and a budget of 10 g. bacteria (in yogurt counter in the grocery store). It begins by heating the milk to boiling, then cooled to the right temperature (I also inherited a thermometer handy) (to cool it faster, you can put the pan in a sink with cold water). It adds a bit of warm milk for bacteria, and then incorporates them in remaining milk. It puts everything in the glass jar, then into the yogurt maker in which we put a little warm water. One connects all for about 5 hours. Then: fridge for 8 hours. The yogurt is ready.

Made with 2% milk, my yogurt was still liquid this morning. I have several options to thicken:

1 - drain it: this is what I did this morning. I put essuis-all in a colander and drain the yogurt I made about 1 hour at room temperature. The problem is we lose a lot: at least 3 cups of liquid. For cons, the texture is great and it is not at all greasy. However, 8 cups of milk to make a meager 4 cups of yogurt, is impractical.
2 - Add one envelope of gelatin in cold milk.
3 - Add milk powder to cold milk.
4 - Add gelatin powder + milk
5 - Add the cream ... In fact, it's a personal theory, but it certainly would allow me to get close to the delicious texture of 10% across the Mediterranean. I have a cup 35% cream in the fridge ... and I still have milk ... and my envelopes of bacteria are 5g, so I might try a half recipe with 1 cup cream and 3 cups of milk.

To flavor yogurt, you have several options:
- jam or fruit spread
- pieces of fruit (on the internet, it is suggested cook a bit in the microwave to make them a little water )
- stewed fruit
- toasted coconut
- zest (orange or lemon)
- caramel (if you are very naughty)

I also read other interesting ideas:
- brew a pod vanilla, zest or a cinnamon stick when boiling milk early in the process.
- the Coconut: Add a can of milk coconut and coconut
- cif add instant at the beginning of the process for a coffee yogurt (YUM)

The latest yoghurt are sometimes made for a dozen small individual pots. So some add fruit and herbs directly into the bottom of small pot, then add milk and stocked up with yogurt with fruit at the bottom (I saw a recipe for great jars of pear-chocolate yogurt).

short, it's officially my new obsession processor; oP

0 comments:

Post a Comment