I continue my tests and explorations in the big world of diapers!
I started working the PUL. It is a special fabric, very thin, waterproof. I do not think it's obvious to sew ... There is something that sticks on the machine and at the same time is somewhat elastic. We must find a happy medium voltage wire.
I first used to make me a cover layer for the layers of flannel made last time.
Problems:
- create a template with Velcro (on the internet, they use many snaps for diaper cover)
- large enough to create a pattern in the right places (although it must cover the flannel layer)
- sew the elastic on the damn damn stretch fabric! (My death)
- ensure there are no leaks (not easy without a human model)
I wasted two pieces of fabrics with my boss first model (it was too small) and my attempts to elastic. I finally came to a head model with two options Elastic sewn into a tunnel, the other in a zig zag. (Here, I present only the model with the tunnel ... I find it more aesthetic). I made only two for now: I want to wait to test it on my baby to ensure there are no leaks. In addition, you can "roll" with two diaper cover by day (they are used alternately by cleaning and drying them in the open air between the exchange).
The advantages of this system are:
- layers very effective for smaller babies (I made a template for babies 8-15 pounds)
- enough economic (PUL is more expensive, but since you can run at 2 covers diapers a day, it does we take only 4 or 6, depending on the frequency of washes) (we need several layers of flannel, but they are relatively inexpensive to manufacture)
Disadvantages:
- big ass! (PUL thick flannel + 1 + 1 + microfleece lining absorbing 3 or 4 layers, depending on fabric)
- longer to make (but hey, we're talking seconds here)
The cover layer is yellow and I put the layer of flannel inside to show:
Whew! Monday I spent 6 hours sewing this layer ... There were 26 steps and it gave about 40 for me because I was wrong in lots of places, I had to fight, again ... Yet, I loved it and I commend myself from this afternoon!
Reminder: the diaper bag similar to the principle of a disposable diaper: you put it in one step and the outside is waterproof. The interior is microfleece (leaves liquids to pass, but gives an impression to dry). But there is a "pocket" (hence the name) on the back: it is in this space that puts the absorbent lining.
The advantages are:
- It dries very quickly, because the absorbent lining is removed. Layer and the lining are separated during washing and drying, so it's twice as fast to dry. (For my leak testing, I wet the flannel diapers ... and it's true that it is relatively slow to dry)
- You can vary the absorption (eg at night, we can put more) by adding inserts
- It starts in one step, as a nappies. When baby is older and start fortiller, it's easier.
- Manufactured under large buttocks.
- Very effective
Disadvantages:
- More long to make (in my case at least!)
- More expensive (in store, they can cost up to $ 25 per layer ... if we made 8 changes by day and washed every 3 days, ouch!)
- More expensive to manufacture as (PUL is used for each layer)
comparison layer bag (left) and cover layer + layer (right):
So my coat pocket. All ideas presented geniuses not me, haha! I used the Jalie pattern instructions + suggestions and advice forum mamanpourlavie girls. I have small things to improve, the central position of my Velcro (it is too low).
- the velcro is twofold: I sewed a soft part on the rough. In the photo that compares the two layers, the Velcro are separated, but if baby has a small size, we can superimpose the Velcro:
- J have done internal gussets: basically, you sew another elastic on each side but within of microfleece (that explains my 6 hours of work, because after that it was not easy to take the elastic thigh!). However, I am very happy with my pockets and it seems it's very effective.
- I love the new cookbook received for Christmas (Rapido Presto, Genevieve O Gleman)
- I am making Valentine cards to the board in
scrapbook - we renovated the basement (or rather, someone does it for us)
- I traded the pool Ice cons cross-country skiing ... both enjoy winter!
0 comments:
Post a Comment